We meet every Sunday at 10:30 virtually via Zoom. The Meeting House remains open as always. (For Covid-19 protocols see below.)
Third Sunday of the month (except in August) – Zoom Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business begins at 12:45 PM.
Wednesdays, 2:00 – 3:00 “Coldstream Social Hour”
Join us via Coldstream’s monthly Zoom connection to catch up with one another, and lighten the week.
Friday, January 29, 1:30-3:00 PM “Friendly Friday” discussion of George Fox’s journal
“I attended the session on Oct. 2. The reading was sent out in advance, and it caught my interest in learning more about George Fox and his experience. During the session, we read a section from Fox’s journal, and then stopped for discussion along the way. I’m so glad to have attended this session because it helped me deepen my knowledge of a foundational text to understand what led up to the development of the Religious Society of Friends and to compare and contrast this with our modern Quaker experience.” Donna M.
It is really easy to register–just submit your name and email address in the following link and submit. You’ll then be prompted “review your registration” which will then take you to a confirmation page. No need to be a member of CFHA to join. https://cfha.b.civicrm.ca/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=3
Sunday, January 31, 1 PM “Communication Challenges” with Matt Legge
(Open to the Coldstream community only)
Matt is the Peace Program coordinator, CFSC and author of “Are we Done Fighting Yet?”
1. Presentation on research into communication challenges and what goes wrong in difficult conversations
2. Question and answer session
3. Practice sessions (5 minutes each) Matt will speak (raising a controversial issue) to one chosen person who then responds to Matt, everyone else will be an observer. Matt will do a few different scenarios with different responders. (Not everyone will have the chance.)
4. Debriefing. Watchers can say what they observed and further questions can be raised and discussed about what worked or didn’t.
Sunday, February 28, 1 PM, “The Only Way Forward” with Nancy Russell
An open invitation for friends, neighbors and anyone interested to attend.
Nancy Russell is the Criminal Justice Program Coordinator, Canadian Friends Service Committee, CFSC (Quakers)
Approximate length 60 minutes
1. Overview of The Only Way Forward Project. This includes the notion of “Defunding”, sometimes called “detasking” the police. Nancy will highlight salient points that hold particular interest for Coldstream meeting.
2. Showing of part of CAHOOTs program. This is a crisis response program that has been successfully running for over 30 years. It is an alternative to sending police out on 911 calls that have nothing to do with breaking the law and everything to do with issues of mental health and the social determinants of Health.
3. Q & A discussion.
If you are attending a meeting via Zoom:
- The Zoom meeting opens at 10:15. Please do your best to join the meeting no later than 10:25 so that the host, who must admit people to the meeting, can settle into the silence with everyone else at 10:30.
- If you need to join the meeting after 10:30, you are most welcome, just as you would be at the Meeting House. Please be aware though that there may be a delay in the host admitting you as there is no sound cue that you are waiting, and it is possible that the host may not see you at all.
- Before the meeting starts, please check that you are muted and mute yourself if you are not. This prevents sounds from everyone on Zoom being heard.
- If you wish to offer vocal ministry, unmute yourself and begin by identifying yourself (“This is Tom,” or “Pat speaking.”) Please mute yourself when you have finished.
- The silence will come to a close with a statement of welcome.
If you are attending the Coldstream Meeting House in person please:
- Sanitize your hands when entering and exiting the building. Hand sanitizer is on the table by the guest book.
- Maintain social distancing in your seating.
- Ensure no more than 5 people are in the Meeting House at the same time.